Tracks Other Than Mine
TRUDGING through snow on a long-coat-day I am reminded of other creatures that need to venture out to forage for sustenance. Here, for example is the hoofprint of what I presume is a deer. The photo is not to scale. I thought of digging my keys out of my backpack. But exposing my fingers to frigid wind just to take a picture was enough masochism for the day. I've seen deer in Duluth's parks. Bagely Nature Area is an example. But this photo was taken in my neighborhood. I think it was on East 10th Street.Next we have the pawprints of the common companion dog. Said dog probably was not out foraging, but on a walk with his or her human guardian. Some Duluthians are very nice about picking up their pets' poopie-pies.
They walk their dog, one hand holding the leash and the other a pooper-scooper. Not our neighbor though. Their little chihuahua leaves littles bits of treasures on the shovelled walk in the back yard. Hmmm, little doggie is smaller than Meowsie. Maybe I should introduce them to each other one of these days...
And for posterity's sake, here are my tracks. Notice the lovely traction? I don't walk on snow or ice now without wearing these boots. Even if the leather now kind of stinks and it doesn't exactly match my nice blouses.Ah, to wear flipflops again--outdoors! When? Where? I daydream of Dumaguete, Boracay and Bohol during my 4-hour Friday afternoon classes. I think of white cotton T-shirts and shorts and mojos. And making tusok-tusok some fishballs near the UP Chapel. The boring, smushy-looking food at the UMD cafeteria sometimes makes me want to cry. To cry for Rodics and Lola Adangs, and Mommy Thai along Katipunan. But I am here and this is now. And I have yet to subject myself to the pride of the Scandinavian-Americans: the dreaded, lye-saturated lutefisk.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home