The Animal Shelter
Mourning Brucie has sometimes been difficult. But we are moving on by adopting another kitten. C. and I went to the local animal shelter yesterday to look for a female kitty. It will be easiest to introduce a non-dominant female kitten to a household with three adult male cats. Choosing was so hard. I wanted to take them all home, but I couldn't of course. We liked a very active white Siamese kitten, but he was a he and had a very dominant personality. Alpha cat in the making. Not a very good mix for our cats. We settled on Orion (reminiscent of the cat in Men in Black), a black kitten who had been at the shelter for almost two months.
While C. was doing the adoption paperwork, I wandered into the dog section. It looked a lot like the interiors of dog pounds usually portrayed in movies. It was a longing room with two rows of cages facing each other. On my left were cages in the "Not Walked" section and on my right were the "Walked" cages. It was very noisy. There was a family picking a dog and all the dogs were understandably yapping and barking. But in that cacophony of barks was a sorrowful, gut-numbing howl. A dog was crying somewhere. My guess was that this dog had a family once and is had either gotten lost or abandoned. I couldn;t take the sound even if I wondered what I could do for the dog. I just got out of there as fast as I could.
While C. was doing the adoption paperwork, I wandered into the dog section. It looked a lot like the interiors of dog pounds usually portrayed in movies. It was a longing room with two rows of cages facing each other. On my left were cages in the "Not Walked" section and on my right were the "Walked" cages. It was very noisy. There was a family picking a dog and all the dogs were understandably yapping and barking. But in that cacophony of barks was a sorrowful, gut-numbing howl. A dog was crying somewhere. My guess was that this dog had a family once and is had either gotten lost or abandoned. I couldn;t take the sound even if I wondered what I could do for the dog. I just got out of there as fast as I could.



1 Comments:
That's one of the reasons I try not to go to dog pounds here. I simply cannot endure the sorrow, and the sadness linger for so long...
-M
Post a Comment
<< Home