Monday, July 24, 2006

Parang sa Pinas

OK, so this is what I have realized after trawling the internet for jobs the past few months (as far as the US is concerned):
  • Most international nonprofit jobs are based in Washington D.C.
  • Most major for profit magazine jobs are based in New York or Los Angeles. ( Too noisy. Too much driving.)
  • The salary for an entry level reporter job is $30,ooo or less. That's really low. Might work if one were living in a hick town.
  • In the nonprofit world, a "development" job is a euphemism for a "fund raising" job.
  • Many international nonprofits have a Hollywood-type board member. For example, Pierce Brosnan for IFAW, and Harrison Ford for CI.
  • A communications position is sometimes almost synonymous with marketing. It scares me. So I look for openings where the two ideas are still separate entities.
So, hmmmm, it's taken me a day and a half to put together another application. Getting the hang of it. Expecting to send out more.

***

This reminds me of the concentration of major media outlets in Metro Manila. A long time ago, I was tempted to apply for a PDI position in Baguio. But I was too chicken to leave my friends in Manila. Plus, I didn't want to be too far from the UP College of Music. Ah well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home