Friday, September 23, 2005

Little Gems in the Midst of My PMS Fog

HAVE been moody the past few days, and there's a pimple growing near my nose. I also have a craving for salty treats, like potato chips, bacon and tinapa sana but I can't get that around here. All signs of Aunt Flo's monthly visit.

Bagpipe Trance

Despite the grumpiness, nice unexpected little events have come my way the past few days. Last night, I was riding my bike across the UMD parking lot and came upon the Scottish Historial Society Bagpipe band practicing right there amongst the cars and SUVs. I have a thing for Scotland, having spent a month in a Scottish Castle in Midlothian in 2001. I also have a thing for a Scottsman by the name of Ewan McGregor, but I digress. A 10-year-old boy was standing with them and I asked him if they were preapring for a concert. He said they were just practising. I itched to take their picture but sensed it wouldnot be proper. I also did not have enough light. And so, after two numbers I got on my bike again and headed home.

Fly Fishing Swishers

On my bike again two days ago, I was on Kirby drive and headed for the library when I heard a subtle series of swishing sounds. Have you every heard the sound a fishing line makes when it is cast? Multiply this by 30. Swish, swish, swishy-swish. Thirty men (I counted them) where practising casting their lines on a grassy knoll near the spanking new (shining, shimering, splendid pa) Swenson Science Building.

Women on the Wall

Finally, instead of going to a graduate student barbecue, I decided to follow my heart and attend the Women on the Wall session at the UMD Climbing Wall. There were only three participants and three instructors. All right! I climbed two walls and was surprised at how it was easier than I expected. My last wall-climbing experience was at the Boom na Boom carnival in Pasay City with a distracted belayer and a couple hundred people below staring at my derriere. Last night was a much more comfortable session. There was no pressure and I didn't feel bad about taking my time on the wall. I also liked the bouldering wall, though it is more challenging than it looks. I'm definitely getting myself a semester pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home