Who-Cooks..Who-Cooks-For-Yoouu?!
Last Fall, I went on a night hike with my Outdoor Education Methods classmates and our teachers. Not a social outing, but a class trip. At the Audubon of the Northwoods in Sandstone, Minnesota, we crept out of our rooms at around 9:00 in the evening and started walking as quietly as we could to a nearby forest.
Sobrang dilim, nakaka-praning. I could barely keep up with the classmate in front of me. Most of us wear wearing light-colored clothing, but it was still diffifult to see. I was so afraid I would trip on something and sprain my accident-prone ankle yet again.
Every now and then we would stop. Tapos at one point, our professors taught us how to immitate the call of the Barred Owl. Its sounds a bit like saying "Who cooks, who cooks for you!"

Photo: http://www.illinoisraptorcenter.org
Every once in a while our profs would call out. (Shy pa kasi kaming magkakaklase. Maybe some of us felt it was silly.) Pero nada. Then on our fourth try, an owl responded. It was soooo cool! And tapos non, another one called out! Join na rin ang profs namin.
Apparently, the purpose of those calls is to let other owls know that "O ayan, teretoryo ko ito ha! Keep out or I'll get you!" Not unlike Meowsie's spraying behavior or those big double circles UP fratmen draw on walls before a frat war. Hay naku!
Anyway, I like owls a lot. Yung room ko noon sa Hawthornden Castle may owl family na nakatira sa window ng isang secret door that leads to some attic like area.
Click on the title link to listen to the call of the Barred Owl of Minnesota. It's a link from the Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve here in Duluth.
Ikaw, who cooks for yooouuuuu? :)
------
Filipino Expressions Guide:
"Ikaw" - You
"Sobrang dilim, nakaka-praning!" - (Rough context translation) It was so dark, I felt paranoid!
"Tapos"- And then.. (Context translation)
"Shy pa kasi kaming magkakaklase."- My classmates and I were shy. (Context translation)
"O ayan, teretoryo ko ito ha!" - So there! This is my territory!
Sobrang dilim, nakaka-praning. I could barely keep up with the classmate in front of me. Most of us wear wearing light-colored clothing, but it was still diffifult to see. I was so afraid I would trip on something and sprain my accident-prone ankle yet again.
Every now and then we would stop. Tapos at one point, our professors taught us how to immitate the call of the Barred Owl. Its sounds a bit like saying "Who cooks, who cooks for you!"

Photo: http://www.illinoisraptorcenter.org
Every once in a while our profs would call out. (Shy pa kasi kaming magkakaklase. Maybe some of us felt it was silly.) Pero nada. Then on our fourth try, an owl responded. It was soooo cool! And tapos non, another one called out! Join na rin ang profs namin.
Apparently, the purpose of those calls is to let other owls know that "O ayan, teretoryo ko ito ha! Keep out or I'll get you!" Not unlike Meowsie's spraying behavior or those big double circles UP fratmen draw on walls before a frat war. Hay naku!
Anyway, I like owls a lot. Yung room ko noon sa Hawthornden Castle may owl family na nakatira sa window ng isang secret door that leads to some attic like area.
Click on the title link to listen to the call of the Barred Owl of Minnesota. It's a link from the Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve here in Duluth.
Ikaw, who cooks for yooouuuuu? :)
------
Filipino Expressions Guide:
"Ikaw" - You
"Sobrang dilim, nakaka-praning!" - (Rough context translation) It was so dark, I felt paranoid!
"Tapos"- And then.. (Context translation)
"Shy pa kasi kaming magkakaklase."- My classmates and I were shy. (Context translation)
"O ayan, teretoryo ko ito ha!" - So there! This is my territory!



3 Comments:
hi ate,
seems like a really nice trip to the woods. naalala ko yung subic trip before na may owls din at nag-trek din ako :)
bhel
Hey, where's the link to Hawk Ridge? I want to hear the "who-cooks...who-cooks-for-yoouu?!"
my boyfriend cooks for me,
Cecille :)
Huy Cecilia,
Sinabi nang click on the title of the posting eh! :) Kulit!
My boyfriend cooks for me too,
-N
Post a Comment
<< Home