Thursday, August 24, 2006

Blue Funk

ONE of three noun definitions of the word funk from the online Webster dictionary describes it as "a: a state of paralyzing fear; b : a depressed state of mind". I can't explain the fog that has decended on me these past few days. I am restless and the thought of the approaching Fall semester is making me anxious.

I can only guess that the shorter days and the colder wind have something to do with it. Yesterday, I was wearing jeans and a white cotton blouse and I was so cold outside. I had to dig out my formless, fashionless, gray fleece sweater so I could spend two hours photographing in the UMD Rain Garden.

As we have been wont to do this whole summer, C. and I have kept all windows in the apartment open. But last night, I shut about half of them. I also began to wear my flannel pajamas again. This morning, I noticed that the bushes in our backyard are showing yellowing leaves here and there.

It is inevitable and inescapable. We are now shifting from summer to fall and my tropical islander soul is screaming and wailing.

Yeah, yeah, my Duluth friends have told me again and again, "embrace winter! Snow is good!" Sinverguenza! ika nga ni Lola Aguida. Winter is a depressing season and statistics prove it (and I won't bother looking for the stats that say there are more suicides during winter months). There has got to be an easier way to get through winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home