Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bayfield Apple Festival

spiralspuds.JPG
Fair Food.

THE UMD International Club needed a volunteer driver, so I was volunteered...to drive five math majors--four Chinese and one Indonesian--plus myself to the premiere apple festival of the Northland. We all had heard of the Apple Festival but still did not know what to expect. Every apple product known to man? People speaking in apple cliches? People dressed in nothing but apples with parts of their bodies in apple pies? Ahermm...

Anyhoo, after two hours of driving (and taking the wrong exit out of the Bong Bridge in Superior and ending up in Duluth once more), we finally parked the UMD van in one of the orchards offering free parking. At a big barn, there was a wine-tasting event. I felt bad because I couldn't chug some apple wine. Me being the driver. Outdoors, an old man was giving kids donkey rides. This is something I would have enjoyed were I younger. But seeing as I was much bigger now than the donkeys, I moved on. There was kettlecorn (sweet pop corn?) and various other apple products for sale. The math kids and I agreed to meet here after five hours for our drive home.

paperhats.JPG
Paper hats.

DOWNTOWN, there was a concert at an open stage and lots of stalls selling jams, sandwiches, pies, taffy, salad dressing, and various fried food. There were stalls selling various Northland products too, like wool hats, scarves and gloves, fisherman-themed trinkets, miracle oils, and crafts. No rhyme or reason for the type of products being sold. One stall was only selling spatulas. Cute-looking, pastel colored spatulas. (Throughout the day, I was thinking that maybe we do need an extra spatula at home.)

Norwegian Thermometer
Norwegian Humor.

Cecilia and I drifted toward the aroma of frying cheese curds. And so, $5 poorer, I finally got to taste Minnesota's state fair favorite...It was okay. Pampanga sisig is better and clogs up the arteries faster. Cecilia bought an onion blossom. It reminded me of sea anemone, but I ate some anyway.

onionblossom.JPG
Cecilia and her Onion Blossom.

Once in a while we bumped into the other math majors. It seems we were the only Asians wandering around Bayfield that day. Someone asked us if we were all related. "Of course we are," I snapped. "We are all the children of Buddha!"..Just kidding. I didn't say that.

peelingcontest.JPG
Apple Peeling Contest.

We ran into Ran and Wenji who were about to compete in the Apple Peeling contest. And, they lost. Because no sooner had they started peeling away, when we all noticed that their local competition hadn't started peeling. They were instead carving thin strips on their apples which they would eventually pry loose. The defending champion was a Wisconsin surgeon. Ah well! Maybe next year. Ran and Wenjie got interviewed by the local paper, so that was fun.

wenjiespeel.JPG
Wenji's apple peel.

Cecilia and I walked around the other part of town and discovered that that was were the good food was. Cajun food, apple pies, apple tarts, apple brats (???), smoked salmon, steak wraps, fish boil (???). But by that time, we had no room in our tummies. So we just enjoyed the aromas and considered our last minute purchases.

I saw a huge container of cranberries. Shocked into compliance, I bought 5 lbs of it at $1/ pound. Cecilia decided that she needed a spatula at home.

cranberries.JPG
Cranberry Shock.

Back at the shuttle stop, we met with the other Math majors and discovered that they had bought cranberries too, thinking one can snack on them on the way home. However, cranberries--they discovered--are extremely sour. We were advised by locals to make cranberry sauce out of them and to "google" the recipe.

Driving back to Duluth, we enjoyed the burnished look of sunset on changing trees. The math majors talked about Mathematica while I, the only Environmental Education major, wished for sisig.

postpeeling.JPG
Buddha's Children.

What Happens at the Lake...
Fishermen Humor.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! apple festival. favorite ko yang apples :)i like the pictures of the fisherman humor and the paper hats.

ano po yung prize nung apple peeling contest? hehe

miss ko na po kayo ate :)

12:06 AM  
Blogger Cee~ said...

hi natasha!! I see you have a blog too... that's expected from someone who has more than 100 friends in their friendster account though!! hehehe...

8:48 PM  
Blogger Natasha Vizcarra said...

Hi Bhel,

We didn't wait to find out what the prize was. But Ran and Wenji received buttons that stated how long their apple peel was. And well, they got to eat the apple afterward.

-N

12:59 PM  
Blogger Natasha Vizcarra said...

Cecil!

I enjoy reading your blog. Was it just my imagination or was it in Indonesian one day and then in English the next? :)

-N

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home