Kissed by the Snow Queen
OKAY, so maybe snow isn't all that bad. Yesterday, I had one of those moments Oprah might call "aha", Ricky Reyes might call "ahahahay", and childhood friend Jay Policarpio might respond to as "shet na malagket".
Warm and tingly from a hour of step aerobics, I rushed to my locker dreading the walk home. I was anticipating it to be as cold and uncomfortable as my morning walk to school. I also wasn't too keen on walking in the dark (there have been reports of overzealous Mormons who might try to convert you right there on the sidewalk).
And so I put on all the clothing and gear that I had put on this morning. I got a customary amused look from a local lady when she passed my locker. Well, kebs, di ba? I'd rather look overdressed than die of hypothermia. Besides, I have the perfect excuse: "Um, obviously I'm not from around here."
When I got outside, it wasn't all that cold. The temperature had dropped and I realized that that now I really was overdressed.
Kebs.
Toasty in my snowpants and coats and looking slightly blimpy, I crossed the street onto the UMD parking lot. It was snowing lots. Not lightly, not heavily, but lots. Also the snow wasn't wet and icky. It was powdery. Almost like shredded styrofoam. Or very light salt. Or extra white dandruff. The parking lots had these tall bright lamposts and I found myself stopping under one of them to look up. And there it was. That moment. Everything was so still and quiet I could hear flakes land with soft "plicks" on my coat. I don't know if it was the step aerobics adrenaline coarsing through my veins or the fact that I was kinda hungry for dinner, but I was suddenly aware of the snow's glinty qualities. The word "beautiful" doesn't do justice to it. Maybe a word that combines beautiful, awesome, mystical, mysterious, serene, humbling, swirly, glinty, still, quiet, cooooool, and oh my God would suffice. But there isn't such a word, at least in my limited knowledge of world languages.
I loved my walk home last night. Man, the earth is such an awesome organism.
Warm and tingly from a hour of step aerobics, I rushed to my locker dreading the walk home. I was anticipating it to be as cold and uncomfortable as my morning walk to school. I also wasn't too keen on walking in the dark (there have been reports of overzealous Mormons who might try to convert you right there on the sidewalk).
And so I put on all the clothing and gear that I had put on this morning. I got a customary amused look from a local lady when she passed my locker. Well, kebs, di ba? I'd rather look overdressed than die of hypothermia. Besides, I have the perfect excuse: "Um, obviously I'm not from around here."
When I got outside, it wasn't all that cold. The temperature had dropped and I realized that that now I really was overdressed.
Kebs.
Toasty in my snowpants and coats and looking slightly blimpy, I crossed the street onto the UMD parking lot. It was snowing lots. Not lightly, not heavily, but lots. Also the snow wasn't wet and icky. It was powdery. Almost like shredded styrofoam. Or very light salt. Or extra white dandruff. The parking lots had these tall bright lamposts and I found myself stopping under one of them to look up. And there it was. That moment. Everything was so still and quiet I could hear flakes land with soft "plicks" on my coat. I don't know if it was the step aerobics adrenaline coarsing through my veins or the fact that I was kinda hungry for dinner, but I was suddenly aware of the snow's glinty qualities. The word "beautiful" doesn't do justice to it. Maybe a word that combines beautiful, awesome, mystical, mysterious, serene, humbling, swirly, glinty, still, quiet, cooooool, and oh my God would suffice. But there isn't such a word, at least in my limited knowledge of world languages.
I loved my walk home last night. Man, the earth is such an awesome organism.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home